Sunday, March 27, 2005

Behavioral Observations Newsletter

This is a monthly newsletter I receive. I thought I'd share it with you because it is truly insightful and worth the read. Here's the opening paragraph of this month's email. It sprouted some ruminations I share below. And here's how you sign up...

ADULT ROLE MODELS
Everyone is familiar with the concept of role models for children, but what do we adults use? Certainly what we learned as children still affects us although this is generally modified by later experiences. Do we as adults still have role models? I think we do, although less clearly. Over the past few years I have been frequently dismayed by the entertainment presented on TV, movies, and related passive entertainment modes. In this observation I will use my author's privilege to philosophize more than usual about the effects of our entertainments. Before going further I suggest the reader write down several TV shows, movies, novels or electronic games you particularly like. Now jot down the major actions that excite you. What is there about the main character(s) that attracts you? What leads to success and winning in the entertainment? What is there about the show or game that keeps you involved?

Here are the thoughts that proceeded from that paragraph. Considering my childhood in the late 1950's and early 1960s, my role models were comprised of: Doris Day, The Lone Ranger, Miss Rafferty (1st grade teacher) and Mrs. Merritt (5th grade). My Lone Ranger look is posted above. Thankfully, I have no Doris Day renditions to share. ;-)

Unfortunately in my younger life, there was a terrible shortage of familial role models. I had an alcoholic father and a submissive mother. As is the case with many families in the US today, the rest were spread across the states, so my intimacy with them was non-existent. In my teenage years, my role models were my peers. Not great role models. We were all trying so hard to find ourselves and knew no path.

And so, I took the long way to adulthood.

More than ever, I think caring adults in teenagers' lives are vital. I also think that during their teenage years, those role models cannot be their parents, nor should they be persons far removed from them (like sports figures or TV stars). We need flesh and blood at that time--up close and personal. This is where we have erred in moving away from tribal communities.

Interestingly, as an adult I haven't consciously considered role models. I haven't owned a TV in a long time, so that's out (probably a good thing). But here are the persons I came up with: Jane Austen for her wit; Buddha for his philosophy of peace; Lao Tsu for his philosophy of the natural order of things; C.G. Jung for his depth psychology and the Sumerian mythological Inanna and Erishkigal (I'll tell the story sometime in one of my posts) for their courageous blending of opposites.

My life happens to be in a period of change. I need some role models that can help point the way for me. As a protege of the Long Ranger, picture me sitting atop Silver on the crest of a hill with a determined look in my eye seeking just the right person for the next part of my path.

Here's wishing you great role models, too. Just one more part of This Wild Ride...

No comments: