Friday, October 05, 2012
Friday, September 21, 2012
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Sunday, September 16, 2012
Friday, September 14, 2012
Human beings certainly gravitate to religion and it seems we all have an tendency to believe in some sort of karma. Your mind may require meaning. Studies show it's one of the key factors underlying happiness and motivation.
So what is meaning in life and what does research say about how we might be able to find it?
Some research indicates that to have meaning in your life you must have a story. You need to reflect on how things could have been and why they turned out the way they did. Seeing that things had a direction and a purpose provides meaning.
- Studies show that a good portion of the benefit from religion comes from the meaning it gives to life.
- Looking back on our lives necessitates a narrative so it's not surprise that nostalgia increases feelings of meaning in life.
- The stories we tell do reveal who we are.
- The reason people commit suicide is because they don't live up to the standards of the stories they tell themselves.
Fundamentally, our brains may not be able to tell the difference between the real and the story.
What's even more interesting is the truth may not matter. Feeling that you know yourself creates a strong sense of meaning in life -- whether or not you actually know yourself doesn't make a difference.
That may seem depressing but it also means that you can craft the stories in your life to build meaning and fulfillment.
Timothy Wilson, author of Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change, has talked about how the process of "story-editing" can help us improve our lives:
The idea is that if we want to change people's behaviors, we need to try to get inside their heads and understand how they see the world—the stories and narratives they tell themselves about who they are and why they do what they do.
So how can you decide what is really meaningful?
How can you shape the story?
Thinking about your funeral (morbid as it may sound) can help you envision the story you would like told about your life.
How do you make the story part of your life?
Be the story you tell yourself.
Again, Timothy Wilson:
...the "do good, be good" method. It capitalizes on the tried-and-true psychological principle that our attitudes and beliefs often follow from our behaviors, rather than precede them. As Kurt Vonnegut famously wrote, "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." People who do volunteer work, for example, often change their narratives of who they are, coming to view themselves as caring, helpful people. Well-designed studies have shown that teen girls who participate in community service programs do better in school and are less likely to become pregnant.
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Sunday, August 19, 2012
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Location: Animal Shelter Community Room, 11361 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90064
Description: Information sharing: how to save money on rabbit care.
Date: Sunday, August 19, 2012
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Inge, one of RM's super peeps, took her home while she convalesced.
Of course, then Inge couldn't part with her so she became part of Inge's family.
Oh, hoppines, may you never end! Now she's bonded with A Hunka' Burnin' LUV, Zoomie.
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Saturday, July 14, 2012
Sunday, July 08, 2012
How to train a human: a Guide for House Rabbits
Training your human can be time consuming and requires a lot of patience as obviously they aren't as intelligent as us. But, it needs to be done so the sooner you start the better. For the benefit of house rabbits everywhere, we've put together our list of rules which the humans should follow. You could try putting this on the fridge door or maybe on the TV screen...
1. Don't disturb us when we're sleeping. Never, ever, ever - unless the house is burning down
2. When we want cuddles, we'll come and ask. Just cos we're cute doesn't mean we want to be cuddled 24-7
3. Mealtimes must be strictly adhered to. No excuses
4. Change our litter tray more often than you clean your toilet. Seriously - we're a lot cleaner than you
5. Just open the bag of hay and let us help ourselves. We don't care about the mess and neither should you
6. Jumping on the bed is a much better way of waking you up than an alarm clock. Admit it
7. When we sit and stare at you, we're trying to tell you something. At least make the effort to think what it might be
8. We're addicted to cables and therefore can't be blamed for any accidental damage. Sorry about that
9. The sofa belongs to us just as much as it belongs to you. Try not to sit on us please
10. When we roll on our backs, this is not an invitation to tickle our tummies. Or to start acting like the paparazzi
11. If something's in our way, we're going to nibble it. No if's, but's or why's
12. Like a man's garden shed, our den is sacrosanct so enter at your peril
13. If we bite you, there's a good reason. Try and think what it might be and adjust your behaviour accordingly
14. We might cling to you when you take us to the vets but that's only because you're the lesser of two evils. Don't flatter yourselves
15. Don't eat chocolate and biscuits in our presence. It's like torture, we want it so much
16. We know you're all individuals, have different personalities and like different things. Kindly return the favour
17. If you have to clip our nails or whatever, do it as quickly as possible and then pretend it never happened. The loss of dignity is major
18. When we turn our backs on you, get the message. Talk to the butt cos the face ain't listening
19. Don't call us out of our den unless there's a really, really good reason. Like a visit from the Queen, or food
20. And finally... when we give you our trust, it's for life. It's the best gift you'll ever get and you know it
So, encourage your humans to follow these rules and you shouldn't have too many problems. The slower ones might take a while but a gentle nip keeps them on the right track and reminds them that bunny knows best. Good luck, fellow house rabbits and remember - it's a bunny world, the humans just live in it!
Page last updated: 29 March 2012Page first published:
there's more!! http://www.bunnyhugga.com/training-your-human.html#
Tuesday, July 03, 2012
Sunday, July 01, 2012
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
One Hungry Little Mouse!He said: 'I have no idea where the mouse came from - he just appearedIn the enclosure after the keeper had dropped in the meat for the leopard.He didn't take any notice of the leopard, just went straight over to the meatAnd started feeding himself.' 'But the leopard was pretty surprised - she bent down and sniffedThe mouse and flinched a bit like she was scared. In the meantimeThe mouse just carried on eating like nothing had happened.But even a gentle shove does not deter the little creature from getting his fill...'It was amazing, even the keeper who had thrown the meat into the enclosureWas shocked - he said he'd never seen anything like it before.' Project owner Jackie James added: 'It was so funny to see - SheenaBatted the mouse a couple of times to try to get it away from her food.'But the determined little thing took no notice and just carried on.'Sheena was brought in to the Santago Rare Leopard Project from aUK zoo when she was just four months old. She is one of 14 big catsIn the private collection started by Jackie 's late husband Peter in 1989.The African Leopard can be found in the continent's forests,Grasslands, savannas, and rainforests.....so the mouse continued to eat the leopard's lunch and show the leopardWho was the boss. Just proves no one can push you around without your permission.
Thursday, June 21, 2012
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Saturday, May 19, 2012
May 18, 2012
FUN FOR ALL !!
The title of this video is "RABBIT EAT VERY FUN" :D -- to which I say, YES!! :P
Love the close-up (and the sound!) here... also it reminded me very much of the "Yipyipyip-Uh-huh!" martians of Sesame Street... ;) Enjoy!
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference FUN FOR ALL !!:
Definitely banana! So sweet! :3
Posted by: Robin | May 19, 2012 at 04:01 AM
Verify your Comment
Previewing your Comment
Posted by: |
This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.Your comment could not be posted. Error type:Your comment has been posted. Post another comment
The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.
As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.
Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.<div id="comments-open-noscript" class="comments-open-noscript"> <form action="http://www.dailybunny.com/.services/comments" method="post"> <input type="hidden" name="entry_xid" id="comment-entry-xid" value="6a00d8341bfd0953ef0167669833f5970b" /> <input type="hidden" name="token" value="1337485541-44abcf182b2223e23e6133e74ea924c5c13d7182:fCgCZTNGwUoSgJKa" /> Name:<br /><input type="text" name="author" size="30" /><br /> Email address:<br /><input type="text" name="email" size="30" /><br /> URL:<br /><input type="text" name="url" size="30" /><br /><br /> Comment:<br /><textarea name="text" cols="40" rows="4"></textarea><br /> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" /> </form> </div>
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Saturday, May 05, 2012
Tuesday, May 01, 2012
Friday, April 20, 2012
Monday, April 16, 2012
Sunday, April 15, 2012
Saturday, April 07, 2012
Tuesday, April 03, 2012
This year, July has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays. This happens once every 823 years.
Monday, April 02, 2012
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Monday, March 26, 2012
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Monday, March 19, 2012
CALGARY – The town of Canmore is days away from a deal to euthanize thousands of feral rabbits.
The town says it’s just finalizing an agreement with a contractor to capture and then kill the rabbits.
Town officials say they have no choice because the population is out of control.
Please vote at the end of the article. Thank you!!