Thursday, March 31, 2005

Any Belief Unquestioned...

No Other [Faith] But This One

[snip] Organized [faiths] might be more socially supportable if their creed included a provision accepting the organized [faiths] of others. Unfortunately, modern religions do not practice tolerance...

Lt. Gen. William G. "Jerry" Boykin, the new deputy undersecretary of defense for intelligence explained why he knew he would win his battle against Muslims in Somalia. "I knew my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real God and his was an idol."... [oh, puhleez.]

[Faith] as a Lethal Force

The central problem with organized, assertive religion, of course, is that it endows [faith] with a moral and messianic fervor. God-directed [faith] can be a lethal force. Indeed, one might argue that this type of force is behind much of the violence around the world. The conflicts in Palestine (Jews v. Muslims), the Balkans (Orthodox Serbians v. Muslims), Northern Ireland (Protestants v. Catholics), Kashmir (Muslims v. Hindus), Indonesia (Muslims v. Timorese Christians) and the Caucasus (Orthodox Russians v. Chechen Muslims) constitute only a few of the places where religion has been the explicit cause of millions of deaths in the last ten years. [snip]

Author David Morris makes a persuasive argument that faith is another's superstition. Neither can be proven by scientific or rational means. They are just believed. Read the rest of the
article at Alternet.

On a personal note: I have an intimate interest in views like Mr. Morris'. I was raised in a conservative protestant faith (later, evangelical) and until I was in my mid-30s, believed fervently. Part of that fervency was that my beliefs couldn't be challenged. Based on faith, they had no need of provability. And if I did seriously question, I lived with the threat of being "doubly damned" as someone who had "known the Lord" and rejected him. My eventual transition was wrenching. What I finally left was guilt, unquestioning certainty, belief control and utter sameness. I had depth of feeling in my religion, but no depth of thought. "We" were right and "they" were wrong. Superiority without foundation. How I wonder at those days...I am now officially "doubly damned". Fortunately, I have a family who loves me anyway -- and prays for me constantly. I love them too.

3 comments:

The Sovereign Editor said...

Blind faith in dogma is not restricted to religion. Observe trends in modern political discussion. There is a right view depending on your party, and a wrong view. Those who raise valid objections or reasoned alternative opinions are excommunicated.

ABL said...

You're right, Realm of Sovereigns, there is no religious monopoly on zealotry. Politics is no stranger to emotional extremism when one views it as his/her (substitute) 'religion' or the extension of it. We all need something to believe in, but what about politics and/or religion become so incendiary in some hands? Pondering, pondering.

ABL said...

Hi, Ned.

Thanks for your reply. You made some very good points and I think I understand where you're coming from.

However, my own view stands. *My* historical, up-close-and-personal experience was of a blanket intolerance of others' beliefs. I like your 'religion' much better.

Yours in discussion of the hard subjects,
Wild Rider